Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hurricane Maine
I have to admit, prior to this class I was not a blogger nor had I ever read a blog.  I have thoroughly enjoyed keeping a diary about different subjects and reading fellow classmates blogs. I have loved, the no pressure feeling that comes along with blogging.  No APA or MLA to worry about, just your thoughts!  

This week, my mind was blown when we were given the task to read a few different edubloggers.  I ended up choosing Hurricane Maine because the blogger is a biology teacher which is what I hope to teach someday.  Her blog was full of super helpful links, ideas, and resources.  She even had a "how to use this blog" tab.  My favorite part about her blog was that she encouraged comments in order to have a conversation with you about certain topics.  

My favorite part about her blog were the descriptions of activities she has done with her classes, followed by links to helpful resources, and a rundown of what went good and what she would do differently next time.  For example, she dissected owl pellets with her students.  She introduced the activity and described what she did with her class.  She included links to how best to complete the activity along with worksheets and grading rubrics!  She then included what went well and how she would change the activity for the next year.  How helpful!  Especially for a first time teacher!

I look forward to researching some more biology edubloggers and getting ideas for my future classroom! 





4 comments:

  1. I agree with your contention that it is extremely helpful for teachers to share their ideas in what worked well with their students and what stalled out. I also like that blogging doesn't have any restrictions that go along with many of our other assignments! Going into the first year of teaching, I can only imagine what it would be like without some collaboration with fellow colleagues. It sounds like this teacher was very open to sharing information and eager to learn about what other people have done in the past. This is a fantastic mindset to have, especially, as you pointed out, as an incoming teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeni,

    I looked at Hurricane Maine also and I liked all of the practical tips. I think looking at sites like these is a great way to get some extra advice as a first year teacher. I also agree with both you and Evan about the blogging assignments. It is nice to respond to class and each other without the pressure of an essay format. I was never a blogger, either, but I do see myself continuing with this method once I start teaching. It also seems that we will have much more to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeni,
    Your description of this teacher's online persona makes me wonder whether good teachers = good bloggers. There are a lot of qualities that could overlap: an open, discursive attitude; taking the perspective of your audience and serving them generously, etc.

    I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Dinh- I don't know if all good teachers=good bloggers (we have to remember our older generation of teachers who may not even know what a blog is!) but I do think some good bloggers=good teachers! :) I have been fascinated at reading colleagues posts this week about different bloggers. Who knew a blog would be an excellent resource for us as new teachers?!

      Delete