Sunday, November 17, 2013


Edublogger

I was a bit hesitant to respond to an Edublogger.  I was not quite sure what to say or what to ask or how to approach commenting.  I ended up telling the blogger how helpful I found his blog.  I thanked him for all of his great ideas about teaching anatomy and asked him how he introduces new vocabulary to his students.  The amount of vocabulary students in anatomy are faced with can be overwhelming so I was curious as to how he approached this with his students.  


I was pleasantly surprised when he responded within a few hours! He answered my question and thanked me for my comment.  There was however something about his response that I found a bit irritating.  He plugged his book and copied the link to purchase a textbook he had written.  It made me feel like he responded just to try to sell some more copies of his book.  I then thought maybe that was the point of his whole blog- just to try to make money off his books.  Either way I will continue to read his blog because it is a great resource with a lot of helpful links but I do not see myself commenting again. 

On a side note, the image above was generated by a free program called Wordle.  All you do is either type or copy and paste text into the text box and hit generate.  Wordle randomizes the words and makes the words that are used the most bigger than the others. You can format the shape and color of the font that Wordle generates.  The one above was created by copying and pasting a blog post from the Edublogger I have been following.  I thought it would be a fun activity to do with students for a get to know you activity at the beginning of the year. 

1 comment:

  1. Well at least there's no charge to look at his blog and continue to pull ideas. It's an unfortunate reality that people are just trying to make money, but the way that many people go about it can be a little off-putting. Browsing the sites of Edubloggers, in my brief experience, has been a valuable experience for the main reason that you mentioned in your post: to see a new perspective, gain new ideas, and learn new material. The edublogger that I have been following has created her site for that sole reason! She seems to be an exceptionally benevolent woman who loves her material and loves to help others. Collaboration and sharing of ideas is the only way, in my opinion, to truly find success as a teacher. Thanks Jenalyn!

    Evan

    ReplyDelete